Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sexualization of Early Childhood

  •  
The sexualization of early childhood is certainly prevalent in the media and in the consumer market.  My daughter is 34 months  old and I am increasingly aware of messages that she receives from the media.  I watch what she watches and limit her exposure to television and videos.  Right now I stay home with her and it is easy for me to monitor these things.  I am shocked though at the shows that are in the media right now.  Shows like Toddlers and Tiaras, which shows little girls putting on make-up and prancing around in two-piece bathing suits dancing around a stage and blowing kisses to the judges.  It makes little girls seem older than they actually are and makes them dress in inappropriate ways.  I think though that little girls are beginning their menstruation a lot earlier and we have 8 and 9 year old girls with breasts, small waists, and hips.  I remember when I started teaching second grade in an urban area.  I had young girls menstruating in the second grade.  These young girls were as tall as me, and their bodies were developing way ahead of their little girl minds.  I remember the boys wanting to touch their breasts and I had to do lots of lessons on respecting each others' bodies and personal space.  The sexualization of young children did not help the situation.  The boys thought she was 'sexy' and they didn't care. 

This can definitely impact childrens' healthy development.   Children need to develop socially and emotionally in normal ways.  Sexualization that is too early limits this and pushes them into emotions that they are not ready for.  As an early childhood professional I think the best way to respond is to have an environment of respect for each child and high standards for dress and appropriate behavior.   I think children need to learn to respect their bodies, have respect for others, and be made aware of messages that the media gives them.  

Being aware of the sexualization of early childhood has been influenced by studying the topic this week by making me more aware of how I can deal with these things in the classroom.  My role as a classroom teacher has been clearer.  I realize each day how much influence I can have.

1 comment:

  1. Your comment about "Toddlers in Tiaras" reminded me of a dance competition I attended last year. Very young girls were both dressed in risqué costumes as well as dancing in very sexy ways in front of the judges. I was shocked, but when I commented I was told that this was simply what was expected in dance competitions. It is especially disturbing that not only are children exposed to sexuality at such a young age, but that there are adults that take active roles in this and that accept and condone it.

    ReplyDelete