Monday, February 13, 2012

Impacts on Early Emotional Development

I selected Latin America and the Caribbean.  I am Latina and lived in the Caribbean for some time.  This area is diverse.  "Latin America and the Caribbean is considered the most unequal region in the world" ( Unicef, n.d.).  I was also interested in this region because of what is currently taking place in Brazil and the Kayapo tribe.  I was interested in looking at how indigenous children fare in this region.   

Some challenges that the children in this region of the world are confronting are many.  Some include chronic malnutrition due to "extreme poverty,  low education level of parents, and lack of access to basic services" (Unicef, n.d.).  Some education challenges include the fact that millions of children don't enter any school setting.  Children in this region need to be protected from violence, exploitation, and abuse.  Little girls are the most vulnerable. 

All of these experiences might have an effect on children's emotional wellbeing and development because not having access to basic services such as clean water affects their basic needs.  If basic needs aren't meet children cannot grow and develop appropriately. 

Looking at the statistics present made me more aware of what a  particular group of children that come into my classroom setting might have had as challenges.  For example, having children from this region might mean they were malnourished.  I have to then think about how this might affect their academic growth.  Also, they might have been victims of sexual abuse or have had family members die of AIDS.  All these challenges affect their emotional development.  I would have to be patient and sensitive to the adjustment period  these children will go through adjusting to our school environment.

http://www.unicef.org/lac/english_4842.htm


.

3 comments:

  1. I too chose the same area. Majority of the population at the school I work with are Latin. I think as an Educator it is our duty to stay abreast of the latest information to serve our children better. If anything else I know this was a reminder for me. These children have so much going on at such a young age. This is why it is important to get to know the the student and their families to find out where they come from. Knowing where they are from can present information to receive a better understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johan,
    I also chose the Caribbean and Latin America because some of my students have come from Columbia, Costa Rica, and Mexico. How difficult it must be for those children, not only because there is a language barrier, but a cultural difference.
    I am also concerned about the high incidence of sexual abuse with girls. I have had instances when I was concerned about that possibility. That is a hard subject to bring up with a family but needs to be addressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johan,
    I chose West and Central Africa, it was amazing to me how the Caribbean and Latin America challenges are similar. Good points you made about how these children who come from there who are now our students, and how they may bring these challenges to the classroom setting I never thought about that in that way. As edcuator's we have to deal with this situation in a careful manner to make sure that we do not discredit the child's background.

    ReplyDelete