Saturday, March 24, 2012

Job/Roles in the EC Community: National/Federal

I have chosen the Robin Hood Foundation.  This is an organization that targets poverty in NYC.  100% of all their donations go to help communities in poverty.  I know of this organization because when I lived in NYC, this organization funded and built a beautiful state of the art library in our school.  Our school consisted of a 100+ year old building that used to be a hospital not a school.  We lacked a library and a gym.  A grant was written and Robin Hood Foundation responded.  They were a blessing to our school community and the library was used for so many community education programs.  This is an organization working to combat poverty in impactful way.
www.robinhood.org/

Also chosen, was the Save the Children Foundation. This organization helps American kids living in poverty.  I specifically focused on the fact that they have a focus on early childhood education.  For example, they launched Early Steps to School Success.  This program begins with expectant parents and they follow these families from birth to age 5.  I think with all that we have learned about making impacts early this is an organization that is actually doing it.  Of course, they also help children in other parts of the world and work on many levels.  This is a great organization.
www.savethechildren.org/

When targeting an issue like poverty, regardless of the angle you choose to approach it, hunger must be a part of it.  If a child is hungry you need to address that issue.  So I looked at Ample Harvest.  This is a group targeting farmers and local people who grow their own food and have excess produce.  This organization asks that these farmers and local people would donate their excess produce to local food pantries in their communities.  Their goal is to provide fresh fruits and vegetables to local food pantries.
www.ampleharvest.org/

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of these. Thank you for informing me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Johan,

    Thanks for the websites. My challenge involves poverty so you have helped me with additional resources. I can also see myself working for all of these companies heping to end poverty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johan,

    Thanks for the great information. I never heard of these before and they seem to be very benefical for families. I believe they will help me with my topic of poverty stricten families. It is so great to have services like these to help people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great information!!! I have never heard of these. I am very interested in Ample Harvest. I can't wait to check out their website and see if they help out in my area. Thanks for the information!!

    ReplyDelete